The Great Destroyer

Destroying books since 1999.

Archangel's Blade (Guild Hunter, #4) - Nalini Singh Wow. First of all I have to say that I was a bit surprised to know the series turned into PNR. Silly me for not reading the synopsis (duh). I was a bit worried about this though. I’m a big fan of the Guild Hunter books and giving up another series would get me really angry. The whole UF to PNR twist was two sided for me. I like it because I always wanted to get in Dmitri’s psycho head and I hate it because the series is too cool to be turned into a cheesy PNR. Thank you Nalini Singh for creating a nice UF-PNR hybrid! Totally love it!It’s fascinating to see what makes big ol’ Dmitri tick. I mean the dude’s hot but a total assh*le. If I had to think what kind of woman would suit Dmitri, and I mean suit as in the big L word, I couldn’t think of the right answer. It’s mostly because I don’t know the guy so well. He spreads the whole killer/playboy aura all round but it’s obvious it’s only a facade. So seeing Hope surprised me. I was expecting someone brutal probably. A chick that would kick ass and scream all day long. You probably figured out why I’m surprised. Poor Hope is a wounded animal and she’s actually afraid of Dmitri most of the time. It will take time and lots of trials to get in her pants. Of course that’s what Dmitri wants, no surprise there. Typical PNR. But I appreciate the nicely put obstacles. If they’d fall for each other like idiots I’d probably end up punching someone in the face. Sad to say I’ve read the previous Guild Hunter months ago and don’t remember Honors accident so well. Maybe I’ll schedule a re-read later on.The nice thing about the book is both characters being scarred. This makes the story sorrowful and emotional. They evolved together, I could see why they fell in love and the ending was heartbreaking and yet really beautiful. [Like a friend said, I’m into mental S&M or something. I just love scarred people. Sue me!]Archangel's Blade is the best PNR I’ve read so far. Ah God the second book that made me cry this week. What’s wrong with me?? I’m getting all puffy and weak! Eeew!!Top 5 quotes#5 “Ah, an old-fashioned woman.” “What?” It was taking all of her concentration to breathe, her body close to adrenaline overload. “You obviously believe in walking three steps behind a man.”#4 “Some women,” Dahariel said in that same hard tone devoid of any hint of humanity, “get under a man’s skin until digging them out makes you bleed.”#3 “Those who say vengeance eats you up are wrong—it doesn’t, not if you do it right.”#2 “Ever had a woman say no to you, Dmitri?” “Once.” He turned the corner with a smile that made her want to cup his face, trace those beautiful lips with her own. “I married her.”#1 “Will you love me when I’m fat and unwieldy with our babe?” He put his hand on the curve of her belly, touched his lips to her eyelids, the tip of her nose, her lips. “I will love you even when I am dust on the wind.”