The Great Destroyer

Destroying books since 1999.

SPOILER ALERT!

Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)

Magic Rises  - Ilona Andrews

Mild spoilers, which are conveniently hidden in spoiler tags, ahead.

This was a bumpy ride. A ridiculously fun yet painful ride. Let me start by saying that I’m pretty much crazy about Ilona Andrews’ books. Kate Daniels is between my most favorite series ever. I’m not exaggerating, it really is. I’ve been waiting for this book, like all of you guys, I’m sure, for about a year. Some of my Goodreads friends got the ARC a month before the release. I hated them. Still kind of do. I’ve been avoiding Goodreads in order not to get Magic Rises spoiled in any way. Yep, I’m that paranoid.

Anyways, as much as I love the author and the characters, I can’t help but feel that there is something wrong with Magic Rises. Now don’t get me wrong, I loved it but there were some things that bothered me, and I couldn’t ignore them as much as I tried. I’m not going to say much about the positive things because they’re the typical thing you would expect from a Kate Daniels book. All the awesomeness is there, all most of the cool characters are there. A relatively new villain, Hugh, who is pretty badass. For some crazy reason I really loved him. And we get more of Kate and Curran. What more do you want?

Well, call me an asshole but I wanted more, especially from the first half of the book. Because I will get into mild spoilers, I’ll mark the next part in a spoiler tag.

I really was happy to hear that Magic Rises will take place on another country/continent. I love Atlanta, and after this book I can say that I kind of miss it already, but the thought of exploring the universe Ilona Andrews has created, getting to see a totally different environment and culture, meeting the other packs and god knows what other monstrous creatures made me all giddy. The possibilities are endless! I remember seeing a post on Ilona Andrews’ blog about Georgia. You can view it here. Sadly, the first video has been removed. That’s the video I wanted you guys to watch. The rest of them are some traditional dances, pretty cool stuff, you can watch them if you wish. Lucky for you, I found it on another channel. Here it is. WATCH!

Oh yes. WANT.

Now, since you guys have a small idea of what I wanted, I can start my rant. I feel like most of the first half of the book was boring. The sea crossing part was kind of fun, as much fun as one could have on a ship. Weredolphins?

The part in the Georgian castle, not so much. Most of the first part of Kate’s trip was spent indoors. The focus was on the newly introduced characters (which were douchebags), pack politics (boring) and awkwardness between Kate and Curran (y u do this??). I could get over the douchebags and boring politics, but the problems between Kate and Curran not so much.

The cynical part of me believes that the drama between Kate and Curran is added only to keep readers from getting bored of their relationship. To make things more interesting. And I’m ok with that. I really am. What bothered me was the way in which this was done. Ok, I can’t help myself so get ready for some spoilception. Major spoilers – do not click unless you’ve already read the book.

[spoiler]

I knew that Curran had something planned. I knew he couldn’t just throw the relationship out the window just like that. Lorelei is a fucking asshat who clearly wants something more than his hot bod spread on a platter, and Curran is too smart not to see this. I also knew that he’s keeping it from Kate. I had a good idea why he’s doing this, and in the end the story proved me right. But I don’t like this type of drama. It’s simply not my thing. I don’t like the stress and the insecurity that Kate went through, I feel like it made the rest of the story lose its quality. I also felt sad that Kate got so insecure about Curran’s love. I’m kind of disappointed in her, to tell you the truth.

And again, why all the drama? Kate Daniels, as a series, is too good for these immature scenes. I would have taken this better if it was done in a funny way, say like Andrea and Raphael’s fight, when he brought his mindless model and presented her as his fiancée in front of Andrea. It was funny. Cheap, but funny. The Lorelei affair, not so much.

(show spoiler)

That’s one thing. The other thing is the predictability. The moment they announced the characters that were going on the trip, I knew what’s going to happen to them. Is it just me? Didn’t you guys feel it? I have no idea. Spoilception! Major spoilers. Again.

I am very sensitive to authors killing their characters. It’s not that it gets me sad, it rarely does. Insensitive is my middle name. It’s the reason why they do it. Take J. K. Rowling, for instance. She kept on killing character after character. I felt bad for Sirius Black, since he was the first character, whom I loved, to die. Then she kept on killing and killing and I didn’t get the reason why. I felt like she just wants to force out feelings from her readers, since her story isn’t enough. I don’t feel like the deaths were necessary, and I don’t think they’re even justified. I need authors to properly justify why they chose to kill their characters, not to do it only for tearjerking reasons.

I knew since the beginning that something is going to happen to Doolittle. It was too obvious. I was expecting something more drastic, though. The invalid part was pretty superhero-esque. Very Barbara Gordon. And it matches the story. I’m cool with that. Aunt B, on the other hand, doesn’t. I was torn between Aunt B and Mahon for the tearjerker death of the century. I thought it will be Mahon at first because he’s a dick and I wanted him to die. He still paid the price, and proved to be an ok guy towards the end of the book. But Aunt B… She had to be the martyr of the story. Yeah, no. Just no. I don’t see her death as a necessity. This partially ruined the experience for me. I felt more touched when Christopher offered to make more panacea just to stop Kate from crying. It made me get all teary eyed. It was such a wonderful scene.

(show spoiler)

That’s about it with the complaints. I can’t really think of anything else that bothered me much. The book also had a very sweet ending; I was really touched by it. And again, can’t wait to read the next one. I heard rumors that Roland will make an appearance in it. The excitement, it burns!