The Great Destroyer

Destroying books since 1999.

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1)

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) - Darynda Jones

That's it, I'm reading it to see what team I'm on.

So far it goes like this:

Anti-Charley:
*Ange
*Cory
*Jenny

Pro-Charley:
*Dee

Stuck in between:
*Aly

***No spoilers

Song of choice: The Perfect Drug by Nine Inch Nails

Ohkay, now here’s a new one. This was supposed to be a challenge of some sort. Most of my Goodreads buds read this book and are torn between two sides. They either hate the living hell out of it, or love it with the power of a thousand suns. Except for Aly, who doesn’t love it nor hate it. She’s a special snowflake, that one.

I’ll be totally honest with you. I was expecting to end up between the people who hate it. I’ve read a couple of quotes for it and they were cheesy as fuck. I still went on with the challenge for the sake of the lols. Evil, wtf were you thinking Darynda Jones, lols. Surprisingly, I actually liked it, smelly cheese and all. Weird, huh? Let’s find out why.

I need to mention that I didn’t love it, I merely liked it. There were many things that I didn’t like, and they’re mostly story-related. I didn’t like the main story. It’s not that it’s bad, I’ve read way worse, but it’s very dull. There was nothing there to impress me. Sure, I like the idea of Charley being able to see ghosts and solve their murders. I like her being “a portal for the dead to cross over”, that part was kind of new. But the rest? Been there, done that. It’s a pretty typical Urban Fantasy plot. That’s the main reason why I can’t say that I loved the book. Universe-wise.. well, there’s not much to say since we didn’t have much interaction with “the other side”.

The gold in this one is on the characters’ side. I absolutely loved most of the characters in this book. The secondary ones, Charley’s dad, uncle, Cookie and Garrett weren’t so bad. Charley and Reyes (the main characters), on the other hand, were loads of fun.

Charley is a cheesy ass woman. And trust me when I say cheesy I mean as cheesy as they get. She’s the reason why my compadres couldn’t go on with the book. Let me give you some examples.

I once signed up for an anger management class, but the instructor pissed me off.

Or

I pointed to my right breast. “This is Danger.” Then my left. “And this is Will Robinson. I would appreciate it if you addressed them accordingly.”
After a long pause in which he took the time to blink several times, he asked, “You named your breasts?”
I turned my back to him with a shrug. “I named my ovaries, too, but they don’t get out as much.

Or my personal fave (which I’m going to print on a Tshirt one day)

When fighting clowns, always go for the juggler.

Yes, that’s pretty much how Charley talks. She does that a lot. And I mean a lot. I wasn’t so comfortable with it in the beginning, but later on I got used to it, and even started to giggle at her jokes. By the end of the book I loved the woman. She is something else.

And then there’s Reyes. He is slke@mmk@$klsdfi3a#%4cuqi2R#45wfj

I can’t. No. I can’t. I’m having the biggest book hero crush since Barrons and Curran. He just makes me all wibbly wobbly on the inside. Yes, I was more interested in reading about him more than anything else. Yes, I’m aware that he’s the reason why I want to read the other Charley Davidson books. And I’m ok with that. I accept my fate. Anything to get more Reyes.

Oh, for some reason I also can’t make myself stop seeing him as Dante from DMC. I love Dante. Maybe that’s another reason why I’m so smitten. Could be.

Ah, who am I kidding?