The Great Destroyer

Destroying books since 1999.

Eternal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #1)

Eternal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #1) - Larissa Ione Let’s start with the cover(s). Why do PNR books (almost) always have on them the half-naked hot dude who’s missing half of his face? There was a time when I didn’t really mind it but enough already! See the UK version for this book? AWESOME! I really REALLY love it! And I saw many book covers from the UK which were pretty good which means that the trends are different there. Anyways, I’m hoping that US books, especially from this genre, will change the cover style a bit because this isn’t hot anymore.I’ve always liked a good Armageddon theme. The story was actually what I loved the most about Eternal Rider. It’ been a while since the last time I’ve read a PNR book and this one seemed good. I’m a real big fan of Larissa Ione and I was sure she wouldn’t disappoint. The whole Apocalypse thing is popular lately so I see Larissa Ione’s decision to shift Demonica into this as a breath of fresh air. I respect the fact that she knew when to take this break and didn’t lengthen Demonica into something… well… sh*tty. Eventually it would have turned out boring, trust me on this one. It helps if you read the whole Demonica series before starting this but I guess you could manage if you didn’t. You’d miss some details but nothing too important.Twenty ways to f*ck up a human mind – a good title for this book. This poor chick, Cara, is going through a lot of sh*t in Eternal Rider. I never get tired of seeing a human react to the whole “The Boogeyman Is Real” story. What should be the normal reaction to “The Bogeyman Is Real”? This:Yep! Eventually she dealt with it and all was fine.Ares was a good character. Ever since I watched Xena, 1000 years ago, I got my eyes on Ares. It’s not the same guy but the name makes me think of the actor (don’t know his name, I just know that he died so R.I.P. *sad face*) who was a major hottie/badass/assh*le (and I mean assh*le in a good way).Anyways, back to the Ares at hand. I loved those scenes when he went all badass on poor Cara. The girl was a wuss at first so she needed a bit of training. I’ve always admired strong heroines so the thought of Cara being weak and the typical damsel in distress made me worry a bit. She wasn’t the typical strong and ruthless character but she did ok. If she was more than this she’d clash with Ares and they’d up kicking each other’s ass non-stop. No good chemistry there, I’m sure…Now u go to Cara and Hal. I’ve always admired characters that can tame beasts and then form that friendship bond that results in love and devotion. I wish I could do that, dammit!!! I want my own hellhound! *sigh*Btw wanted to find a great picture of a hellhound and guess what? Didn’t find sh*t. Why the hell is Google out of nice hellhound artwork?!?! This is like provoking me to start working on one. And I will. Later…That’s the best I could find: hellhound sculpture/3D thing. Good for references though…Pestilence is one hell of a villain. Even though at first I wasn’t happy about the whole evil brother gig (reminded me too much of Demonica with Rick or whatever his name was (I Googled and it’s Roag) and the other guys) it eventually got better and meaner and bloodier and I have to stop now ‘cause I’m using too many and’s.I really love Larissa Ione’s stories. They are always fast paced, they never give you time to get bored. There may be moments where she writes about unnecessary things but they are few and the book as a whole makes it up for them. In Eternal Rider I had some of those moments but in the end the story and characters got to me and I didn’t even remember the boring parts.Wraith’s presence was nice also – I really missed the guy.Great turn of events in the end. I mean I knew Cara wasn’t going to die but, as always, I was curious how the author will fix her up. I’m proud to say I was close enough. At least I guessed the species that will save her. That’s something.And now some extra parts with some spoilers. Just some thoughts. Irrelevant so you may not read if you wish.Why am I not surprised that Cara is a good and perfect (well, almost perfect) person. She takes pity in things (like transferring the agimortus – or whatever they call it these days – to an asshole angel who called her stupid in her face) and then makes the plot longer and more complicated. I mean yeah why would this be simple? Why would a heroine be simple and say “Hey angel dude! F*ck you! Here’s the damn thing, I hope you choke on it!”? At least that would be me… Wrong thing to do? Yes? Aaah pity then. Btw I know this would have ended up bad in the end but how was I to know?? Pestilence is a genius so he’s tough to predict!Great ending even though Ares should have been surer of Cara’s feelings for him. I mean come on surely she loves him so much and will accept marrying him… or wait, women are strange sometimes so she might have said no. I take it back then. But seeing Ares act like a kid was cute.Top 5 quotes#5 “It wasn’t a kiss, human, so don’t get excited.”She sputtered in outrage. “I don’t know what putting your lips on someone else’s mouth means for your people—whatever they are—but humans call that a kiss.”“Congratulations, then. You made out with a hellhound.”#4 Was he actually looking forward to seeing Cara again? The goofy way his lips were curved into a smile said yes, and horror of horrors, he realized he was experiencing some sort of crush.He needed to kill something. #3 “I’ve never been in this region before.”Thanatos glanced around. “Me either.”“Maybe because this place sucks.” Wraith flipped a throwing knife from hand to hand. “I thought we were going to get to fight. Talk about lame. I’m seriously disappointed in you Horsemen people.”#2 One of Than’s vampire servants hustled to clean up Batarel’s remains, and he bowed before Ares. “May I take those body parts from you, sir?”#1 “Hal… he wouldn’t… I mean, look at him.”Hal leaped into the air, his jaws snapping as he caught a bird he’d flushed. The poor bird was gone in an instant, an explosion of feathers floating around Hal’s head.“Sure,” Ares said wryly. “Look at him.”Read the review on ZombieHazard.