The Great Destroyer

Destroying books since 1999.

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3)

Mockingjay - Collins Suzanne Super-duper spoilers coming right up. If you wish to know my opinion and remain safe from the evil blood-thirsty spoilers then know this. I hated the second book. Mockingjay didn’t make me forgive Collins for ruining a perfectly good series either.No, I don’t like Mockingjay. Yes, I’m happy the series ended here. No, I won’t read anything else Collins writes. Ever.And now step into the spoiler-filled world of my review. Say hello to my bouncer Mr. Frizzles. Mockingjay in a nutshell? My name is Katniss Everdeen. I am seventeen years old. My home is District 12. There is no District 12. I am the Mockingjay. I brought down the Capitol. President Snow hates me. He killed my sister. Now I will kill him. And then the Hunger Games will be over….Yep. That’s a good way of putting it. My way of describing the book: heartache every moment baby stupid motherfucking book with you. HIM sounds so good to me right now.I’ve reached a point where I don’t give a fuck about who lives, who dies, who Katniss ends up with, what Katniss does. I just wanted to finish the damn series and be done with it.Collins dumped a whole truckload of drama and tragedy in this book. A good way of stimulating her readers to feel something for this sad excuse of a book? Maybe. At least that’s how I see it. She singlehandedly made me turn from a loving fan to a bloody hater.Some issues I have to talk about.1. Peeta versus GaleIt’s obvious. It was obvious since book 1. It’s obvious in EVERY fucking Young Adult novel. If you see the following line:My best friend Gale’s voice reaches me […]BEST FRIEND. Yes? That means Gale is friendzoned and will NEVER get out of there. She will never pick him in the end.2. The death of (almost) everyonePrim’s just a NPC (non-playable character). Do you know what i do to NPCs? I shoot, stab, burn, blow up, slice, run them over and push them off incredibly high cliffs. Her mum’s also a NPC thus I do not give a fuck if anything overly tragic happens to them.Same goes for everyone else who died. Good job Collins, I admire it. I’m happy you finally decided to kill all your boring characters. It does fix a book, you know.3. Katniss being the Mockingjay 4. The ending/epilogueThe ending would have been better if Katniss committed suicide. A perfect ending that would have earned the book an extra star. Katniss “marrying” Peeta, or whatever the hell they did, and having little bread-baking kids is not as interesting as death. But I can’t have it all. Peeta didn’t die. Katniss didn’t die. Gale didn’t die. Too bad, I was having high expectations regarding this topic.And yet I’m shocked by the shallow and incredibly abrupt way Collins ended the series. It felt too rushed and unsatisfying. She just gave up everything and went for Peeta because he was there. What about Gale? What about the other Districts? What about every other relevant thing in the series? Collins: “Yeah, right. Fuck that, who needs all this shit? All my readers only care about who Katniss will choose.”It may be the worst epilogue I’ve read so far. But look on the bright side, at least the horrid love triangle ended!Now if you’ll excuse me I have a party to throw. The occasion: finishing this stupid series.Zaijian!What? Bye Oh what did you just say? Zaijian is Chinese way of saying goodbye! Oh bullshit![I swear to all that is sacred and non-smelly that this is the definition I found on urbandictionary.com for zaijian]