The Great Destroyer

Destroying books since 1999.

Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville #1)

Kitty and the Midnight Hour - Carrie Vaughn

For some reason I always thought that having a radio show would be cool. Then I thought about how awesome it would be if the main character of an Urban Fantasy series would be the host of a radio show.

Yes. Want.

However, I obviously didn’t think it through. What could one possibly expect from a book like this? Sure, the main character would be all badass on the radio.

Jokes. Yes, please.

Some nice music recommendations. Hell yeah!

Talking. Uhm, sure. Why not?

More talking. Well…

Even more talking. Ok, now this is getting boring. Less talking, please.

But it’s a radio channel. That’s what hosts usually do there. They talk and play music for us mortals down below. Doesn’t sound so cool now, does it?

Nuuh huuh. Did not think this through enough.

Kitty and the Midnight Hour is basically that. Talk talk talk a bit of action talk talk talk and more fucking talk. I don’t know about you, but I needs me some fast-paced events and action in my Urban Fantasy books. As cool as being a radio host may sound, there’s a lot of work that needs to be done in order to get things right.

I have some ideas: getting calls from mysterious strangers with to-die-for voices, flirting with them and then listening to some good music (hopeless romantic right here), maybe meeting them after work in their book shop (wrong book, I know), and then fighting some demons, grabbing some pizza and ending the day with a cold bottle of beer.

That’s the problem right there. I was expecting a particular thing from Kitty and the Midnight Hour and I did not get it. The story was boring and I had to drop it. It was totally my fault, but life’s too short to force yourself to read books you’re not 100% interested in. My bloody to-read list is too long already.