The Great Destroyer

Destroying books since 1999.

The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas,  Robin Buss I have to say that I actually loved the book until after he escaped. The rest turned out mostly into unnecessary details filled with just a little bit of a plot. His revenge turned out less bloody than I expected it to be and the ending was - excuse me Mr. Dumas I respect you but I have to share my feelings - stupid. It’s obvious that I prefer how things went in the movie and not the book. I’ll give it four stars though. Why? Because compared to other classics the count of Monte Cristo was a great read. The story is amazing; it has action and good characters. Plus Dumas writing style and Robin Buss’ translation skills managed to keep me from falling asleep as I usually do when reading this genre.This being said, I’m sure this is not the last book I’m going to read for Dumas. Shame on my Goodreads pals for letting me go through this alone!Here are some quotes I liked: “You are my son, Dantès,” exclaimed the old man. “You are the child of my captivity. My profession condemned me to celibacy, but God has sent you to console the man who could not be a father, and the prisoner who could not be a free man.” “Fool that I am,” said he, “that I did not tear out my heart the day I resolved to revenge myself!” “[…]death is either a friend who rocks us as gently as a nurse, or an enemy who violently tears the soul from the body.”