The Great Destroyer

Destroying books since 1999.

A Monster Calls - Patrick Ness, Jim Kay ** Favourite book of 2011 **The monster showed up just after midnight. As they do.I‘ve been stalking looking for A Monster Calls for quite a while. All those great reviews got to my head and I was so damn curious to see what all the fuss was about.And then I finally got the hardcover.And then I started reading it.And then holy f*ck mother that is good and shiny. Wtf is this book??? I’m being mindraped. I have no words to express my feelings. I guess this will do This book looks amazing. It’s actually one of the best looking books I’ve ever seen. The artist is a freakin’ genius! So please, for your sake, don’t you dare buy the version without illustrations! Don’t you freakin’ dare!Apart from the extra stars that I was going to give A Monster Calls only for its looks we have the heartbreaking story. You would think this is a horror book. I know I did. And I was wrong! It’s actually a very good lesson on human nature and such a wonderful experience. So if you’re a pansy (don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone) you have nothing to fear. You can go ahead and throw all those flashlights and broom handles that were supposed to defend you against the Boogeyman. But get your tissues ready.Anyway, I’ll try not to ramble or make too many noises. My review ends here. All I have to add is that this book is stunning and buying it was one of the best decisions I’ve made this year. Five stars are not enough for rating it.Favorite quotesWho am I? the monster repeated, still roaring. I am the spine that the mountains hang upon! I am the tears that the rivers cry! I am the lungs that breathe the wind! I am the wolf that kills the stag, the hawk that kills the mouse, the spider that kills the fly! I am the stag, the mouse and the fly that are eaten! I am the snake of the world devouring its tail! I am everything untamed and untameable! It brought Conor up close to its eye. I am this wild earth, come for you, Conor O’Malley.Stories are wild creatures, the monster said. When you let them loose, who knows what havoc they might wreak? “What did you do to help the invisible man?” And he felt the monster’s voice again, like it was in his own head. I made them see, it said.As incredible as it seemed, time kept moving forward for the rest of the world. The rest of the world that wasn’t waiting.You do not write your life with words, the monster said. You write it with actions. What you think is not important. It is only important what you do.Personal notesI finally bought this! Thank you stupid cafe in Cairo for not having a bathroom and making me use the one at the wonderful bookshop I stopped by!Ooh how I love the monster. Why can’t I get a visit from one? Only mine should be eleven stories tall and it would probably be a palm tree.Must...not...cry...