The Great Destroyer

Destroying books since 1999.

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) - Julie Kagawa The Immortal Rules seems to be one of those books prone to becoming popular and getting only great reviews. I checked some Goodreads statistics and found out that it got five-star ratings from 2212 people (at the time I researched it – by the time you check it might be even more), four-star ratings from 1564 people, three stars from 617 people, two stars from 158 people and one star from 99 people. So this means that 94% of the people who tried it ended up liking it as well. 94! That’s a REALLY good result.I was afraid I might end up between the small percentages of people not liking it. This is what usually happens when I read a very well rated book. I expect too much, and I end up feeling unsatisfied and hating the book. So I tried my best not to expect anything and just jump in blindly. I didn’t read any reviews. I didn’t even read the summary properly. As I said. Blindly. Fun stuff.Rating this book is one of the toughest things I have to do right now. I liked half of it and disliked the other half. I’m kind of having a Two-Face moment now, wondering which side I should choose. Should I flip the coin and let it decide? The Immortal Rules is divided into four parts. Part 1 - Human, part 2 – Vampire, part 3 – Monster and part 4 – Wanderer. My favorite parts were one and two. They were dark, depressing, cruel and very real. Allie is a magnificent heroine. She is strong, mature and intelligent even though her living conditions are horrid. She is not your typical Young Adult heroine. She does not have a happy life, a house to live in, food on her table every night. She never even went to school. And yet all of these things shaped her into what she is: a veritable leader. Allie’s metamorphosis into a vampire is very detailed and extremely well done. It is the book’s strongest point and my favorite thing about it.Another very good point about The Immortal Rules is the characters’ depth. You can hardly find a shallow one. Personally, I wasn’t bothered by any character in particular but Zeke. I felt that his goodness was a bunch of horseshit but, after reading ahead and finding out more about him, I finally understood his attitude. He grew on me and in the end he won my respect. I still don’t see Allie sharing her life with a mere mortal though. I’m curious to see where their relationship is heading.When I reached Part 3, my excitement started to drop. It got slightly better as the story went on, but it didn’t turn out the way I wanted it to. I hoped that Allie was going to be on her own. The fact that she stumbled upon the human group bothered me because this is the typical way post-apocalyptic stories go. I wanted something different, more from the vampire point of view and not from the human one. I am aware that we are getting a full-on vampire point of view, duh, since Allie is a vamp herself but that’s not what I meant. I’m talking about vampire society. Ranks, kings, maybe a bit of politics. However, I guess that heading in this direction would require a change of the book’s genre. Nevertheless, it didn’t bother me so much. The story is very interesting. There are lots of action-packed moments, a bit of romance. A bit of everything I guess.My problem is that I got bored while reading it. I kept on glancing at the progress wishing 50% was actually 80%, trying to figure out why I’m not making progress, wishing for more dialogue. That’s never a good sign.I even tried picturing the rabids as Rayman’s Raving Rabbids. Yes, that did in fact help a lot.I see why so many people loved it. At least it’s a good quality book unlike other more popular ones *cough*twilightfiftyshadesofgreysweetevil*cough*That’s a long cough. It could get even longer if you insist.Even so, it’s not my cup of tea. Well, calling it “not my cup of tea” would be unfair. It’s my tea, but the cup is too plain for my taste. So I would totally recommend it in any case, it’s a very entertaining book but there is a chance, extremely little, that the cup could be too plain for your tea. Savvy?