The Great Destroyer

Destroying books since 1999.

The Demon Lover  - Carol Goodman, Juliet Dark I wasn’t so excited to start this book. Why? It may sound shallow but it was the title. Yes, I thought “Oh demon lover, typical romance story. *yawns* Boring stuff”. But (again shallow, I know) the cover was great and I had to make sure it’s alright by reading the summary. After it passed inspection I requested the galley. After a few days I got the confirmation email *happy dance* and started reading. And I had such a wonderful surprise. The story was amazing (I probably was in the mood for some nice paranormal romance – but it turned out to be more of an urban fantasy so never mind that) and the book seemed to be a gold mine. Demon Lover has a bit of a fairytale-ish feel to it. Fall in love, break the spell, get married, live happily ever after with your 10 kids, one dog, three cats and a pet hamster. I’m a sucker for these stories, so I was having the time of my life, as you can imagine. This lasted for about 25% of the book, the rest ending up mediocre.I’m so angry that the book didn’t continue on the Road of Awesomeness it walked on at the beginning. I can still see the scene in front of the house, heavy rain falling down and Callie seeing the beautiful demon’s face between the droplets. It got stuck to my mind. *sighs*But back to reality. Why am I so disappointed? Good question. The book got into too many details. It made me feel like I’m watching Lost again (and I’m not happy about this, trust me). So many mysteries and very few answers. All this made me feel confused and close to getting a headache.Callie was a normal heroine. Nothing much was standing out with her. I didn’t love nor hate her. I actually find it difficult to make an opinion on her, how strange is that? Liam (duh) and Ralph (yes, I’m talking about the mouse) are my favorite characters.Thinking about it, I didn’t actually love (aka obsess about) any characters in the book. I either liked them or was having neutral feelings towards them. I was excited about the incubus at the beginning but since the story morphed into something else he was gone. *sniff*Some characters were nice but some seemed useless. Probably there will be more books to come and they will have an important part in them. But speaking of Demon Lover, they didn’t please me. I got bored pretty often while reading the book.Ah and before I forget, more scenes with the incubus please!The ending made the book earn an extra star. It was too much of a tease but it made me want to read the next book. I guess I’ll be keeping an eye on this series.