The Great Destroyer

Destroying books since 1999.

Demon from the Dark (Immortals After Dark, #10) - Kresley Cole This book is about the great Carrow, and after the beautiful epilogue in the previous one we can tell that she, along with Lothaire and Regin, is in deep shit. Yes, the story is finally shifting into something more interesting. I think this is a good perspective Kresley Cole is using because after so many books things started to feel a bit repetitive. Meh, I know, even this follows the same pattern but at least now we have the whole evil Order who plans to exterminate the whole Lore or something. Badass, I tell you! I have to tell you that I really loved this book in the beginning. It had the whole Beauty and the Beast vibe that I absolutely loved! I was actually thinking a few weeks ago about looking for a book similar to this, so you can imagine how excited I was when I started reading it. Malkom is a poor tortured soul. I felt bad for him buuuut I have to say that there were moments when he was recalling certain dark memories and I didn’t get that “scarred” feeling you usually do with the typical slaves, whores and so on. Ouch for the choice of words but it’s true. Something was missing. And this actually made me lower the score for this. Throughout the book I felt that something was totally missing, but I still couldn’t figure out what.The environment where the story takes place in the beginning was kind of cool; the whole dangerous jungle where Malkom goes all Rambo on those bitches was a nice touch. A thing that I loved about the guy is how brute he was in the beginning. I mean come on, giving her severed heads as courting gifts beats the crap out of flowers if you ask me. The guy is so much similar to a dog. The big puppy eyes, always trying to impress Carrow, he’s even close to wagging his tail.Ha! Caught you there, didn’t I? He doesn’t have a tail… or does he? *evil smile*Moving on…. I hate kids. I really really do. When Ruby appeared in the book I took hold of my deathstare and swung it at my Kindle. Oh yes, you know what my deathstare means, don’t you? Uhmmm… it doesn’t really mean anything but anyways…. I just hate kids ok? Leave it be!! Ok where was i? Yeah… I guess kids always have a way with beasts and big creatures usually, not the first time we see a kid getting along well with these creatures so I wasn’t surprised when she loved Malkom. And of course he loved her back. Sweet moments, I tell you. That made me like her. But just a bit. Like (1/1000)^9 bit.As you can see I didn’t really pick on the characters much. I mean Carrow was ok but I expected more -wild things? I guess those are the words – from her. Malkom was cool but, I repeat, something was missing. And this made me lose interest in them towards the end. Which takes us to my next problem: the ending. Yes, again we know what will come next, the whole war thing and other stuff that I won’t mention, which is good. But the ending to the love story… well… what’s the word for it? Meh. I mean I liked the ending, happy and everything, but come on! Just like that? Easy like a feather? (wtf, I know) I mean a few pages ago the guy was thinking he could never trust her and in a chapter puf! Everything gets fixed. Nah, this doesn’t work for me at all. Give me fights! Give me slaps! Give me tear-bringing declarations of eternal love!!! *shakes her fist in the air*Yeah so after this… review… I guess you can call it that, I made up my mind. I’ll go for a score of 3. I loved these two but I think they were too imposing for the weak ending they got. It’s too bad because the book started so well.Now for the quotes we’ve all been waiting for:If these people execute me, I'm going to be sooo pissed.She fired another shot and another, until he dropped to his knees, lurching in pain. "That's for breaking my wrist." She wasn't strong enough to kill him, but torturing him was more rewarding than anything she could remember. Yet somehow she forced herself to quit, reserving enough energy for a cloaking spell.Though Slaine was down, amazingly, he wasn't out. He lay, still conscious, his massive body quaking. He reached for her, so she reared back her leg and punted her pointy-toed boot into his balls.His strangled bellow was delicious.(Now that’s why I love Carrow – I know it’s long but I had to share this)He'd swiftly collected those monsters' heads, tying them together with a piece of the rope she'd hoped never to see again, then strung them over his shoulder. Periodically, he offered his catch to her."No, no, I have a pair just like them at home," she'd said. "I would just regift them.""I should name you Wilson the Volleyball. You understand as much as Wilson did and respond as infrequently. What's that?" She cupped her ear as if the demon had spoken. "No, no, you're right, Wilson was more hygienic."His reaction was so thunderstruck, she suddenly grasped that her demon drinking buddies had taught her something far more naughty than "Can I have a brew, please?"In thickly accented Demonish, she'd just asked him, "May I fellate you, if you please?"