The Great Destroyer

Destroying books since 1999.

Duchess by Night - Eloisa James After reading too much paranormal romance I decided to take a break and try something else, you know, change the air and all that, and I thought that a historical romance will do just fine. Having already started this series I was a bit reluctant at first because I got a bit meh towards the previous book, An Affair Before Christmas, and I was afraid that this one won’t be so good also. A friend of mine insisted on it and told me a bit about what happens in the story and I became more excited. Now, after finishing it, I have to admit that I loved it. The aspect I love most in this book was the same that made me start reading it: a woman going under disguise as a man. I always thought it would be fun doing something like that and I wished many times that I could be able to “infiltrate” an all-male crew and just spy on them for a couple of days. Maybe even join in. Oh the fun! The story went really well with this, there were many moments where Harriet got herself in really funny situations and it was so enjoyable. I respect and admire Eloisa James for her unique writing skills and her great talent of creating the best set of dialogues I’ve ever encountered so far. Her humor is just great and her stories, even though they’re simplistic, manage to suck you in and entertained you from start to end.Duchess by Night, as you can tell, is the story of Lord Strange and Harriet. Now my first reaction when I saw that Lord Strange was the hero in this book was to scream EEEEEWWW at the walls. I was thinking why would I ever want to read a story about such a freaky guy? Harriet is an interesting woman, she deserves better than this. To explain my reaction better I will show you a picture of what I thought Strange looks like:Just looking at him makes me have shivers. And not in a positive way.After reading more of the book I found out that he looks like this:Yeah, I know…. It’s exaggerated but this is how my mind pictured him so that’s how he’s going to stay. Period.After my mind morphed Strange into the goodie illustrated above, the story got even better. Yes, call me shallow. I love pretty things. I’m an artist after all.In the end some of my favorite quotes from this book:“Well, I didn’t want Avery to die,” Loveday Billing explained. “I just wanted to marry John, that’s all. I couldn’t stop myself. I was that tired, and lonely, and he…he sat with me of an evening.”“Vanity, thy name is woman”“Thank God you’ve taken pity on me,” he said. “I’m thinking of hobbling to the window and throwing myself out into the snow from pure ennui.”“I kiss men often,” Villiers said. “Just to make them flustered. Remind me to kiss you on our next meeting, Strange.”