The Great Destroyer

Destroying books since 1999.

The Book of the Forsaken - Yannis Karatsioris The Book of the Forsaken follows the lives of three rather interesting individuals: Robert Cassidy, Daniel Maladie, and Igor Rubinstein. Now these fine individuals are called “puppets” and are supposedly controlled by a stronger force that is our narrator. They are also given a set of supernatural abilities that will eventually bring them together in their quest to fulfill their purpose. What purpose is this? Something related to the Book of the Forsaken, the overly confident narrator - which turns out to be a god or demi-god of some sort – and the game that he is playing with his new puppets. To tell you the truth, I got lost along the way. I have no idea what the purpose of the Book is or where the story is heading. I think it’s because of the too many POVs that keep on changing without any warning. The whole book seems chaotic and can easily get you confused, even though it’s rather short – 144 pages on my Kindle. Yannis Karatsioris seems to like to keep things short so you don’t get many descriptions in the book. Actually, you don’t get ANY descriptions in the book, which is a minus to me. I like the total opposite of this. I guess that Yannis Karatsioris’ bluntness would go very well with a graphic novel.There are two things that I liked about The Book of the Forsaken. One, the footnotes for certain paragraphs were a very nice, and different, touch. Two, the narrator’s sarcasm which made my read a tad more pleasant.As a conclusion I must say that this is not my cup of tea. I won’t be continuing this series.